This national favourite, eaten around mid-morning can be seen sold all over Nicaragua by street vendors.
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 3
- 1 lb yucca or cassava, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cabbage
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 ozs crunchy pork chicharrón or pork rinds, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon habanero chile (known as congo chile in Nicaragua), optional
- Banana leaves
- Peel the yucca and cut in to pieces. Place in a pot with the garlic and fill with enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower to medium heat. Cook with the lid half covering the pot until the yucca is soft when tested with a knife. Add some salt and cook for five more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad by finely slicing the cabbage and place in a bowl. Combine with the diced tomato and onion. Season with the salt, vinegar and oil, then set aside.
- To serve, place a banana leaf over each plate and add a few pieces of yuca and chicharrón on top. Then cover with the cabbage salad. Add a few habanero chiles if you feel adventurous and serve immediately.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Evie Oswald - Travel Expert
It's hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.