Mexican Beef Taco FillingBarbara Zanotelli Rodrigues - Former Travel Expert
Taco is a traditional Mexican dish which has taken the world by storm. It's an easy and practical choice for some family fun at dinner time.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4-6
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced fine (alternately, you can add hot pepper sauce to taste or canned jalapenos OR just leave out the heat altogether, although I think the meat really needs a little kick and adding the jalapeno without seeds didn't make the dish overly spicy)
- Taco Shells
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and chopped onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat into smaller chunks, until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Off the heat, drain the grease from the meat.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 30 seconds and then add the tomato sauce and jalapeno.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer the meat mixture for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in taco shells with your choice of toppings.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Heloise Buxton - Travel Expert
Heloise started her Latin American journey as an exchange student in Santiago, Chile. With extended summer holidays this was the perfect opportunity to backpack through Bolivia, Peru, Argentina and Brazil.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.