Quesadillas are a Mexican classic: delicious cheese turnovers that can be filled with almost anything you like, allowing for plenty of experimentation.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 5 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4-5
- 250g 'hard' cheese - we suggest mature cheddar
- 200g 'crumbly' cheese, e.g. feta (or requesón if you can get it)
- 8-10 wheat-flour tortillas
- 1 pepper, roasted and cut into long thing strips
- 1/2 a medium chilli, finely chopped, or a teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- Heat a spoonful of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Mix the cheeses, pepper strips, chilli and coriander together thoroughly then top each tortilla with a roughly equal amount of the mixture, leaving a wide margin around the edge.
- Fold the first tortilla in half and carefully transfer to the frying pan.
- Fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the filling has melted, then move to a plate covered with kitchen paper to absorb any extra oil.
- Repeat steps 3-4 with the remaining tortillas.
- Cut each folded tortilla in half and serve.
The beauty of the quesadilla is that the range of possible fillings is almost unlimited. We recommend the following:
- Refried beans, sour cream, guacamole and cheddar.
- Green pesto, mozzarella, parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Caesar salad dressing, chicken, rocket and extra-mature cheddar.
- Whatever else you fancy!
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Juliet Ellwood - Travel Expert
After graduating with a degree in Anthropology and History and having been fascinated by Latin America since childhood by the book featuring photos of Nazca, Juliet first visited the region in 2003. Since then, Juliet has visited the majority of countries in Latin America but has particularly extensive experience with Peru, a country she loves for many reasons but not least, its incredible archaeological richness and delicious food!
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.