Brazilian stuffed pumpkins
Camarão na Moranga – Pumpkins Stuffed with Prawn Stew
This recipe from northeastern Brazil definitely has wow factor, so it would be the perfect way to surprise Halloween dinner party guests. But with pumpkins now in season, we recommend that you give this straightforward supper a try any time. Serves 4.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 2 hour
- Total time: 2 hour, 20 minutes
- Recipe serves: 6
- 4 small pumpkins
- 1 white onion (finely chopped)
- 6 fresh tomatoes (skin, peel and seeds removed)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Half a tea spoon of cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- 1 red pepper
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 250g of raw prawns (peeled and de-veined)
- Coriander to garnish
- Salt and pepper to season
- Mild olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. While you are waiting, rinse the pumpkins and slice the lid off the top of each, leaving to one side.
- With a spoon scrape the seeds from inside of each pumpkin and discard. Wrap them individually in foil and roast on a tray in the oven for approx 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and simmer the onions until they are soft and translucent. Add the pepper and garlic and fry gently for another couple of minutes, then add the tomatoes and let them simmer down.
- Add a quarter of the coconut milk and let the mixture reduce. Keep adding the coconut milk bit by bit until you get a stew-like consistency.
- Add the prawns and let them cook gently in the sauce for 5-10 minutes.
- By now the flesh inside the roasted pumpkins should be soft. Using a spoon, distribute the prawn stew between each of them. Sprinkle the coriander on top and place the pumpkin lids back on top.
- Wrap the pumpkins back in foil and place in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Unwrap and serve to your guests with plain white rice.
Variation: Instead of individual mini pumpkins, use one large one for a dramatic centrepiece.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Consultant
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our Sales team.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Consultant
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is an invaluable part of our Group Tours team.
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Consultant
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Escorted Groups team.
Evie Oswald - Travel Consultant
It’s hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Consultant
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.