"These are a real staple in my household: so simple to whip up from just a few ingredients, and super tasty. We use a trick borrowed from Nigella to get those satisfying griddle marks on either side!"
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 very ripe avocados, chopped into thin slices water
- 150g mature cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped
- Juice of a lime
- Fry the onion and chilli in olive oil until softened.
- Place the first of the tortillas on a flat surface and add a spoonful of the cooked onion and chilli, about a quarter of an avocado (chopped) and a sprinkling of cheese and lime juice to the middle of the bottom half only, so that it can be neatly folded in half like a turnover without any ingredients spilling out of the sides.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat (without oil). Meanwhile, fill a saucepan with heavy items such as bottles of sauce etc. Place the folded, filled tortilla on the griddle pan, then put the heavy saucepan on top to apply pressure. Cook for about two minutes, then turn and cover the other side with the pan for another minute or two. This should leave marks on either side, and the cheese should have melted the tortilla together.
- Keep warm (or just eat as you go!) and repeat process for the other seven tortillas.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Consultant
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Escorted Groups team.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Consultant
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made team.
Sophie Barber - Travel Consultant
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia.
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Consultant
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Consultant
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.