Ajiaco Colombiano – Colombian Chicken and Potato SoupHenry Villamizar - Operations
Our Real Latin America Expert
Henry Villamizar - Operations
Colombian Henry Villamizar, expert in Latin American flights and ticketing, has worked with us for over 15 years. Book with Journey Latin America
Popular in Colombia's capital city, Bogota, this delicious soup is perfect comfort food all year round.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 2 hours
- Total time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- Recipe serves: 6-8
- 3 Chicken breast, skin removed
- 12 cups water
- 3 ears fresh corn, cuted into 2 pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 2 cups papa criolla (Andean Potato)
- 3 medium white potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup guascas
- 1 cup heavy cream for serving
- 1 cup capers for serving
- In a large pot, place the chicken, corn, chicken bouillon, cilantro, scallions, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for about 35 to 40 minutes, until chicken is cooked and tender. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Continue cooking the corn for 30 more minutes. Discard green onion and add red potatoes, white potatoes, and the guacas. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- Uncover and add the frozen papa criolla and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken meat into small pieces and return to the pot. Serve the Ajiaco hot with capers and heavy cream on the side.
Recipe found on My Colombian Recipe