A Cuban Christmas TreatBarbara Zanotelli Rodrigues - Former Travel Expert
Our Real Latin America Expert
Barbara Zanotelli Rodrigues - Former Travel Expert
With Brazilian parents, Barbara has a passion for all things Latin American.
Cuban Sweet Potato Purée - a Caribbean Pud!
- Prep: 45 minutes
- Cook: 2 hours
- Total time: 2 hour, 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Juice and zest of an orange
- Juice and zest of 1/2 a lime
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g sugar
- 20g butter
- Large pinch of salt
- Cube the sweet potatoes and add to a pan of boiling, salted water. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and allow to cook until tender. Once ready, mash (or blitz in a food processor).
- Meanwhile add the sugar, cinnamon stick, orange and lime (both zest and juice - but save a little zest for serving) to around a cup of water in a pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook for about ten minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and zest, carefully mix the mashed sweet potato. Cook slowly until it thickens into a reasonably stiff purée, beating with a wooden spoon as you go, then beat in the butter and vanilla extract. Allow to cool, then refrigerate.
- Serve cold in four individual dishes (or glasses), with a sprinkling of the reserved zest on top.
You may also like:
To add two lightly-beaten yolks to the mixture a couple of minutes before it is ready to produce a firmer purée - this is the typical version of the dish, while the egg-free variation is only eaten at Christmas.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Charlotte Daubeney - Travel Expert
Charlotte's fascination with Latin America began with a family holiday to Belize. She went on to study Spanish in school and at university before spending a year living in Santiago, Chile.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.