A Cuban Christmas TreatBarbara Zanotelli Rodrigues - Former Travel Expert
Cuban Sweet Potato Purée - a Caribbean Pud!
- Prep: 45 minutes
- Cook: 2 hours
- Total time: 2 hour, 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Juice and zest of an orange
- Juice and zest of 1/2 a lime
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g sugar
- 20g butter
- Large pinch of salt
- Cube the sweet potatoes and add to a pan of boiling, salted water. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and allow to cook until tender. Once ready, mash (or blitz in a food processor).
- Meanwhile add the sugar, cinnamon stick, orange and lime (both zest and juice - but save a little zest for serving) to around a cup of water in a pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook for about ten minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and zest, carefully mix the mashed sweet potato. Cook slowly until it thickens into a reasonably stiff purée, beating with a wooden spoon as you go, then beat in the butter and vanilla extract. Allow to cool, then refrigerate.
- Serve cold in four individual dishes (or glasses), with a sprinkling of the reserved zest on top.
You may also like:
To add two lightly-beaten yolks to the mixture a couple of minutes before it is ready to produce a firmer purée - this is the typical version of the dish, while the egg-free variation is only eaten at Christmas.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Heloise Buxton - Travel Expert
Heloise started her Latin American journey as an exchange student in Santiago, Chile. With extended summer holidays this was the perfect opportunity to backpack through Bolivia, Peru, Argentina and Brazil.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Charlotte Daubeney - Travel Expert
Charlotte's fascination with Latin America began with a family holiday to Belize. She went on to study Spanish in school and at university before spending a year living in Santiago, Chile.
Sally Dodge - Travel Expert
A former Journey Latin America tour leader, Sally spent 7 years working, travelling and living throughout Latin America before returning to the UK to help people arrange their own adventures to this wonderful destination.