Quesadillas are a Mexican classic: delicious cheese turnovers that can be filled with almost anything you like, allowing for plenty of experimentation.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 5 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4-5
- 250g 'hard' cheese - we suggest mature cheddar
- 200g 'crumbly' cheese, e.g. feta (or requesón if you can get it)
- 8-10 wheat-flour tortillas
- 1 pepper, roasted and cut into long thing strips
- 1/2 a medium chilli, finely chopped, or a teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- Heat a spoonful of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Mix the cheeses, pepper strips, chilli and coriander together thoroughly then top each tortilla with a roughly equal amount of the mixture, leaving a wide margin around the edge.
- Fold the first tortilla in half and carefully transfer to the frying pan.
- Fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the filling has melted, then move to a plate covered with kitchen paper to absorb any extra oil.
- Repeat steps 3-4 with the remaining tortillas.
- Cut each folded tortilla in half and serve.
The beauty of the quesadilla is that the range of possible fillings is almost unlimited. We recommend the following:
- Refried beans, sour cream, guacamole and cheddar.
- Green pesto, mozzarella, parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Caesar salad dressing, chicken, rocket and extra-mature cheddar.
- Whatever else you fancy!
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Charlotte Daubeney - Travel Expert
Charlotte's fascination with Latin America began with a family holiday to Belize. She went on to study Spanish in school and at university before spending a year living in Santiago, Chile.
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Expert
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.