Andean Butterbean and Pumpkin Hot-pot
12 May 2014
A great one-pot dish for a chilly day.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4
- 300g Canned butterbeans
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cubed (2-3cm pieces)
- 500g Pumpkin, cubed (2-3cm pieces)
- 200g Sweetcorn
- 2 White onions, diced
- 5 Spring onions, finely chopped
- 6-8 Cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Hot chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- 150ml Soured cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan over a medium-low heat and fry the onion, spring onion, chilli and garlic in a small amount of oil until the onions are soft, then remove from pan and reserve.
- Add the potato and pumpkin pieces to the pan and fry lightly until edges are slightly crispy, then add just enough water to cover and boil with lid on for 15 minutes.
- Check the consistency of the potato and pumpkin - if tender add the beans and corn, season and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved onion, spring onion, chilli and garlic and cook until they are hot again, then add the soured cream and parsley and stir well. Correct seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot with crusty bread. In Peru, the dish is served topped with white cheese (you could use feta).