The best time to visit Argentina depends on your priorities: places visited, weather, availability, preferred activities, local seasonality. Argentina is an all-year destination, but it’s a vast country with many different landscapes and weather patterns.
- Dec-Mar, summer, is typically tropical in Buenos Aires and pampas with plenty of sunshine interspersed by short downfalls of rain. This is holiday season locally with Porteños (Buenos Aires inhabitants) taking to the beaches.
- At Iguazú Falls water levels and weather conditions vary with the rainy (Dec-Feb) and dry (Jun-Jul) seasons. It’s busy with tourists in local holiday seasons such as February and at Easter.
- Summer in the lake district and wine producing region of Mendoza is warm and sunny, excellent for exploration and walking. (The winter ski season is Jul-Aug).
- High summer in Patagonia is Dec-Feb which attracts the most visitors thanks to longer days, open accessibility to remote regions and the best chance of good weather (although you can still experience all four seasons in one day). Patagonia can be particularly beautiful in spring (Oct-Nov) and autumn (Mar-Apr), when there are far fewer tourists and the weather can still be pleasant. with open accessibility to remote regions. The best time for walking and trekking is Nov-Mar.
- Wildlife in the Valdez Peninsula is present throughout the year (sea-lions, elephant seals, dolphins, seabirds). Southern right whales visit Jun-Dec, breeding Sep-Nov. Penguins congregate on the beaches Sept-Mar. Rain falls Mar-Jul when the temperature dips to 16°C from 30°C in summer.
- The congenial city of Salta in the Andean northwest, base for visits to the Atacama Desert enjoys sunshine and high temperatures year-round, with cool nights Jul-Sep and a chance of heavy rains in Jan-Mar.The many festivals in the region mostly take place Dec-Mar.
- In the northern Iberá wetlands most rain falls Oct-Apr. Temperatures range from 20°C in Jul to30°C in Jan. Wildlife can be viewed throughout the year; bird watching is best Apr-Oct.