Vegan Lomo Saltado-
Our Real Latin America Expert
This mouthwatering dish uses tender, juicy Portobello mushrooms in the place of meat. It’s a quick, easy and completely vegan-friendly take on the Peruvian classic.
- Glug of grapeseed oil
- 250g Portobello mushrooms
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 50ml Reduced-Sodium Tamari
- 50ml Dry Wine
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Chilli paste (Ají Panca is ideal)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- Handful of fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- French Fries
- White Rice
- Slice your mushrooms, tomatoes and red onion into evenly sized strips around ½ inch thick.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a wok over a high heat. Add garlic and fry briefly before adding the mushrooms, oregano, cumin and paprika, along with salt and pepper to taste. Toss together so they are well mixed.
- Pour in the Tamari and red wine and sauté for three minutes. The mushrooms should begin to simmer.
- Add the red onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add your chilli paste. Finally add the tomatoes for no more than a minute, until they absorb some of the sauce, then turn the heat off.
- Serve your delicious dish with a garnish of parsley, along with sides of white rice and french fries.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Lina Fuller - Travel Consultant
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Consultant
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Consultant
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our Sales team.
Sophie Barber - Travel Consultant
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia.
Ben Line - Travel Consultant
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Manager of the Tailor-made Department.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Consultant
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is an invaluable part of our Group Tours team.