Spicy Malagueta Prawns – Guest Recipe from Cabana
7 August 2012
We used shelled, tail-on prawns but any good quality prawn will work well – the bigger, the better! If using frozen prawns, allow to defrost overnight and drain well, otherwise the marinade will not stick to the prawns.
Use as many prawns as you wish; the marinade below is enough for 1kg of prawns.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
- Recipe serves: 3
Ingredients for the malageta marinade
- 6 red chillies, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 3 tsp salt
- 50ml ground nut oil
- Split the chillies and place in a pan with the oil and garlic. Roast in an 180°C oven for ten minutes. Remove and blend with all the other ingredients.
- Drain the prawns and mix well with the marinade.
- Place on a metal skewer, sprinkle with sea salt and grill until the prawns turn completely opaque.
- Serve immediately with a wedge of lime to garnish.
By Cabana restaurant.
Flexible, custom-made holidays to Latin America created to match your exact requirements: our tailor-made itineraries are as unique as the clients for whom they are designed.Design my trip