This traditional Panamanian dish has many different versions with slight variations depending on regional or personal preference.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- Recipe serves: 6
- 1 roasting chickens (cut into pieces, you can also just use 3-4 whole chicken breasts)
- 3 tsps salt
- 1 tbsp coriander (minced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 onion (large, chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 3lbs yucca roots (peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces, also called cassava)
- 4 cups chicken stock (the kind bought in a box is fine)
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, cilantro, oregano, garlic, and olive oil. Rub the mix all over the chicken and let it marinate for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and chop the yucca and the onion. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Place the chicken in the pot, place a lid on it, and let it sweat for about 7 minutes.
- Add the onion and the chicken stock. Bring the soup to a boil and then let it simmer over medium low heat until the chicken is cooked through and soft.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the yucca. Bring the pot to a gentle simmer and cook until the yucca is cooked through (approximately 10 minutes).
- Serve with white rice on the side that is added into the soup when you are about to eat it.
NOTE: This soup keeps well frozen and only gets more flavourful with time.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Charlotte Daubeney - Travel Expert
Charlotte's fascination with Latin America began with a family holiday to Belize. She went on to study Spanish in school and at university before spending a year living in Santiago, Chile.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.