This traditional Panamanian dish has many different versions with slight variations depending on regional or personal preference.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- Recipe serves: 6
- 1 roasting chickens (cut into pieces, you can also just use 3-4 whole chicken breasts)
- 3 tsps salt
- 1 tbsp coriander (minced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 onion (large, chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 3lbs yucca roots (peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces, also called cassava)
- 4 cups chicken stock (the kind bought in a box is fine)
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, cilantro, oregano, garlic, and olive oil. Rub the mix all over the chicken and let it marinate for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and chop the yucca and the onion. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Place the chicken in the pot, place a lid on it, and let it sweat for about 7 minutes.
- Add the onion and the chicken stock. Bring the soup to a boil and then let it simmer over medium low heat until the chicken is cooked through and soft.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the yucca. Bring the pot to a gentle simmer and cook until the yucca is cooked through (approximately 10 minutes).
- Serve with white rice on the side that is added into the soup when you are about to eat it.
NOTE: This soup keeps well frozen and only gets more flavourful with time.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Expert
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.