Rabanadas – Brazilian Christmas Treat
Brazilian Rabanadas follow a traditionally Portugese recipe and as well as Christmas they are eaten at celebrations of new births, Easter and New Year. They were traditionally made from a special loaf of bread only available from bakeries during these holidays, Pao de Rabanada, and were always bought the day before.
This is a super simple dessert to make that is traditionally seen on Brazilian dining tables around Christmas time. They're a great way to use up any old bits of pão frances (french bread) too! Recipe serves 4.
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
- Recipe serves: 6
- 6 small French bread (the older and harder, the better. Fresh doesn’t work so well here)
- 1/2 litre Milk
- 4 Eggs
- A blob of butter for frying
- Sugar (enough to cover the rabanadas)
- Cinnamon powder – to taste
- Slice the french breads into 1 inch thick slices
- Mix the eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl. At the same time, heat up the butter in the frying pan.
- Dip the slices into the eggy-milky mix. Cover all parts of the bread and take your time- you want that mix to really soak into the bread slices. Give it a few minutes.
- Add your soaked bread slices into the frying pan and cook on both sides until the turn that lovely golden brown colour.
- Roll the cooked slices in plenty of sugar to coat the entire slice, sprinkle with cinnamon powder and serve. Still warm is the best.
Variation: Try adding some red wine to the milk for an authentic twist done by many native Brazilians.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Sally Dodge - Travel Expert
A former Journey Latin America tour leader, Sally spent 7 years working, travelling and living throughout Latin America before returning to the UK to help people arrange their own adventures to this wonderful destination.
Heloise Buxton - Travel Expert
Heloise started her Latin American journey as an exchange student in Santiago, Chile. With extended summer holidays this was the perfect opportunity to backpack through Bolivia, Peru, Argentina and Brazil.