Picana de Pollo – Bolivian Christmas Chicken Stew
This is an easy and delicious traditional Bolivian recipe packed with hearty flavours and healthy goodness. Serves 8.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 3 hours
- Total time: 3 hour, 20 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 1 chicken, cut into eight pieces
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup green peas, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup tomato, peeled and minced
- 3 carrots, cut into strips of four
- 1 fresh chili pepper, cut into eight pieces
- 1 small thyme branch, minced
- 1 small celery stick
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely minced
- 3 whole-grain black
- 11/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water or broth
- 8 whole potatoes, peeled
- 16 round slices corn on the cob
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a large casserole dish, except potatoes. Mix very well. Add potatoes so that they are on top of all other ingredients.
- Cook over low heat for two to three hours.
- In a deep serving plate, serve a piece of chicken, potato and corn, and top with a good amount of broth.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.