Picana de Pollo – Bolivian Christmas Chicken Stew
This is an easy and delicious traditional Bolivian recipe packed with hearty flavours and healthy goodness. Serves 8.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 3 hours
- Total time: 3 hour, 20 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 1 chicken, cut into eight pieces
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup green peas, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup tomato, peeled and minced
- 3 carrots, cut into strips of four
- 1 fresh chili pepper, cut into eight pieces
- 1 small thyme branch, minced
- 1 small celery stick
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely minced
- 3 whole-grain black
- 11/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water or broth
- 8 whole potatoes, peeled
- 16 round slices corn on the cob
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a large casserole dish, except potatoes. Mix very well. Add potatoes so that they are on top of all other ingredients.
- Cook over low heat for two to three hours.
- In a deep serving plate, serve a piece of chicken, potato and corn, and top with a good amount of broth.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Sally Dodge - Travel Expert
A former Journey Latin America tour leader, Sally spent 7 years working, travelling and living throughout Latin America before returning to the UK to help people arrange their own adventures to this wonderful destination.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Expert
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Juliet Ellwood - Travel Expert
After graduating with a degree in Anthropology and History and having been fascinated by Latin America since childhood by the book featuring photos of Nazca, Juliet first visited the region in 2003. Since then, Juliet has visited the majority of countries in Latin America but has particularly extensive experience with Peru, a country she loves for many reasons but not least, its incredible archaeological richness and delicious food!