Perfect Mexican dips
It's well worth the effort of making your own Mexican salsa and guacamole - shop-bought versions just don't compare with the fresh zesty flavour of these easy homemade dips.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 2 avocados
- 1 tomato
- 1 small white onion
- Juice of 1-2 limes or lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the tomatoes and onion.
- Remove skin and stones from the avocados and mash in a mixing bowl - retaining a slightly lumpy texture.
- Add the tomatoes and onion, lime juice and plenty of salt and mix well. Serve immediately.
'Pico de Gallo' Salsa
- 2 tomatoes (best quality you can get – should be sweet and flavoursome)
- 1 small white onion
- 1/2 a red chilli pepper
- Handful of coriander
- Handful of parsley (optional)
- Juice of a lime or around half a lemon
- Generous sprinkling of salt
- Dice the tomatoes and onion into very small cubes, and chop the chilli and herbs finely.
- Mix together with the juice and salt. Ideally leave to rest before serving.
A classic way to enjoy these dips is over nachos – simply fill a large oven tray with tortilla chips and cover with the guacamole and salsa. Pour sour cream over any uncovered areas and finish with grated cheese, then heat in the oven for around 15 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Charlotte Daubeney - Travel Expert
Charlotte's fascination with Latin America began with a family holiday to Belize. She went on to study Spanish in school and at university before spending a year living in Santiago, Chile.