Pascualina: Uruguayan Egg & Spinich Pie
2 August 2015
Often found in street food stalls, cafes and bakeries, pascualina is a savory pie filled with spinach and egg.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 12 phyllo pastry
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked spinach, squeezed dry
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Brush a 9 x 12 x 2inch baking pan with butter.
- Cover with 3 layers of phyllo dough, brushing the surface of each layer with melted butter.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp grated cheese over the third layer. Cover with 3 more layers, brushing each layer with butter.
- Combine 4 tbsp grated cheese, with the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cream, flour and mix well.
- Spread over the layered dough and cover with the egg slices. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 6 leaves of dough brushing each layer with butter, brush the top layer generously with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated 175°C oven for 50 minutes until crispy, flaky and golden. Cut into serving pieces and serve hot or cold.
Flexible, custom-made holidays to Latin America created to match your exact requirements: our tailor-made itineraries are as unique as the clients for whom they are designed.Design my trip