16 February 2014
Not really a lasagne at all but a tasty imitator, this dish is layered with tortillas to replicate the structure of the more famous Italian dish.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1/2 a red pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 hot chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 300g steak, cubed (alternatively, use mince)
- 150g of grated mature cheddar
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of sweetcorn
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Olive oil as required
You may like to top the dish off with a dollop or two of sour cream, guacamole, diced jalapeño chillies – or all three.
- Preheat the over to 180°C/350°C and heat a spoonful of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Mix the onion, garlic and meat in a bowl ready to cook later.
- Fry the courgette, pepper and chilli until they begin to soften. Add the beans, sweetcorn and chopped tomato along with the cumin and sea salt and reduce the heat to simmer. Allow the mixture to reduce for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the rice and coriander then reserve.
- Add some more olive oil to the frying pan and heat the pan to a medium heat again. Add the reserved meat, onion and garlic to the pan and stir-fry for around ten minutes or until the meat cubes have browned and the onion has turned translucent and soft. Season with oregano and pepper.
- Coat a large, round ovenproof dish with a small amount of olive oil or a non-stick spray. Cover the bottom with a tortilla and then add a thin layer of the tomato and rice mixture. Spread a further layer of meat and onion mixture over the top of that, and follow it with a layer of cheese. Repeat the layers until the dish is full, then place it in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Garnish as desired and slice into portions to serve.
Flexible, custom-made holidays to Latin America created to match your exact requirements: our tailor-made itineraries are as unique as the clients for whom they are designed.Design my trip