Chips in a stir-fry may sound a little odd, and rice and potatoes are unconventional companions. But this Peruvian dish – with Asian influences – breaks those rules to great effect.
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4
- 750g potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 500g beef tenderloin
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly into slivers
- 1 hot yellow pepper, diced
- 3 tbsps soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- 2 red peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, sliced into thin strips
- Vegetable oil for frying chips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander to garnish
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1/2 inch thick french fries, and place in ice water. Set aside.
- Cut beef into thin 1/2 inch strips. Mash garlic cloves. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet and sauté garlic with the cumin for 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook on medium high heat until browned on all sides.
- Remove beef from heat and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the onions and hot yellow pepper to the same pan and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until the onions are soft, adding a little more vegetable oil if needed.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and red peppers and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, fry the potatoes in 1 to 2 inches of oil until golden. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the beef to the pan with the onions and peppers. Add the tomatoes and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the french fries to the stir-fry. Serve with boiled white rice, and add the coriander to garnish.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Juliet Ellwood - Travel Expert
After graduating with a degree in Anthropology and History and having been fascinated by Latin America since childhood by the book featuring photos of Nazca, Juliet first visited the region in 2003. Since then, Juliet has visited the majority of countries in Latin America but has particularly extensive experience with Peru, a country she loves for many reasons but not least, its incredible archaeological richness and delicious food!
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Expert
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.