Pupusas – El Salvadorian Filled Tortillas
"The pupusa originated in El Salvador and is similar to the empanadas found in other parts of Latin America. It's so popular in the tiny Central American nation that November 13th has even been declared ‘National Pupusa Day’! This recipe includes a filling of pork but you can also use cheese, ham and other treats."
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Recipe serves: 4-5
- 2 cups of masa harina (larger supermarkets will stock it)
- 1 cup of warm water
- 100g lardons/bacon bits
- 50ml of chopped tomatoes with chilli, herbs or garlic
- Mix together the masa harina and water in a mixing bowl and knead until you get a firm dough. If you need to add more water, that’s fine. Cover the dough with cling film for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make your filling! This recipe has chicharrones (spicy pork pieces) in the pupusas. To make the filling, simply fry the lardons until crispy with the chopped tomato. Set to one side.
- Get your dough and divide it into 8-10 equal balls. In the middle of the ball of dough make a hole with your finger and put in your filling.
- Make sure you cover the filling with the dough so there are no holes.
- Carefully take the ball of dough and compress it gently so the filling doesn’t overflow. Then cover the ball with cling film and, using a rolling pin, slowly roll out the dough into a thick pancake.
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil and fry each pupusa for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- For an authentic touch, serve with pickled cabbage.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Consultant
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Consultant
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Consultant
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is an invaluable part of our Group Tours team.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Consultant
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Escorted Groups team.
Ben Line - Travel Consultant
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Manager of the Tailor-made Department.
Sophie Barber - Travel Consultant
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia.