Costa Rican Gallo Pinto
Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver was introduced to Costa Rican dish Gallo Pinto (rice and beans) in the Nicoya Peninsula while filming his TV programme Jamie Oliver's Superfoods. This traditional dish makes for a hearty breakfast or a delicious vegetarian lunch.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Recipe serves: 8
- 2 cups cooked black bean, plus 3/4 cup bean cooking liquid
- 3 cups cooked long-grain white rice, cool
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 8 coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large deep frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 2 minutes until transparent. Add the bell peppers and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Toss in the garlic and thyme, stir well to combine.
- Gently pour in the black beans and reserves 3/4 cup of bean cooking liquid into the pan. Stir well to combine without breaking the beans. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add in the rice, breaking up any clumps by hand.
- Stir the beans and rice mixture together so that all of the liquid coats the grains of rice, turning it slightly brown.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. (To be authentic Costa Rican the recipe needs a lot of salt)
- Add in the finely chopped coriander, still well to combine.
You can visit the Nicoya Pensinula in our Explore and Relax in Costa Rica: Volcanoes to the beach or if you prefer to travel at your own pace our Self-drive Costa Rica: Coast to coast adventures holiday might be better suited.
Last updated: 31 May 2017
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Consultant
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Sophie Barber - Travel Consultant
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Consultant
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is an invaluable part of our Group Tours team.
Ben Line - Travel Consultant
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Manager of the Tailor-made Department.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Consultant
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Escorted Groups team.
Evie Oswald - Travel Consultant
It’s hard to believe that Evie has had time to cram so much in to her life so far. Having lived as a child in the Americas and Europe she found herself immediately attracted to Latin America.