We love this traditional comfort food which is essential in Paraguay for gatherings and national holidays.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- Recipe serves: 4-8
- 3 onions
4 whole corn cobs (out of which you take the grains) or 500 -700 g frozen corn (one pound or some more)
- 500g cream cheese (it can be mozzarella cheese, one pound)
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- In a pan, put the oil, when it is hot, add the onions, let them fry for some minutes, then add the milk, and let it cook some eight minutes and transfer in a big bowl.
- Grate the corn grains or blend it only shortly. They still should have some texture.
- Add the cheese in the bowl (cut into very thin slices), then the beaten eggs, the corn , the salt and the pepper and beat thoroughly. This dough is rather liquid. Check the salt to taste.
- Put this mixture into a greased pan, and take it to a 180º C (350°F) pre heated oven, until it is golden on top (will take abaout 45 minutes).
- Let this stand for five minutes and cut in pieces before serving it.
Note: I used a 25-35 cm pan. Cooking time is depending from the size of your mold!