Casadinhos Brazilian Wedding BiscuitsLaura Rendell-Dunn - Product & Marketing
Our Real Latin America Expert
Laura Rendell-Dunn - Product & Marketing
With her Brazilian mother and Anglo-Peruvian husband, trilingual Laura has an insight into Latin America of rare depth and passion, making her the ideal spokesperson for all the region has to offer.
Casadinhos or 'happily married' biscuits are typically eaten at wedding receptions in Brazil. They are two thin biscuits, representing the married couple, sandwiched together with doce de leite (a caramel sauce), jam, honey or chocolate spread. You can also flavour half of the biscuits with cocoa if you want the two halves to be different colours. Our recipe makes 30 casadinhos (60 individual biscuits).
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 20 hour
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 30 casadinhos (60 individual biscuits)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Grease two large baking trays and line with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- In a bowl beat together yolks and half the sugar until they form a pale cream.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whites with the salt. When the whites begin to foam add the rest of the sugar and then beat until you have hard peaks.
- Add the yolks to the whites and mix gently with a spatula so as not to lose volume.
- Add the vanilla extract and the flour and gently mix again until all the flour is combined.
- Pipe or spoon small amounts onto the baking sheets and place in the oven.
- Bake for 8 minutes until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring them onto a wire rack.
- Once cool, sandwich the biscuits together with your chosen filling and dust with icing sugar.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Chris Rendell-Dunn - Travel Expert
Anglo-Peruvian Chris grew up in Lima and spent much of his adult life in between London and Cusco as a tour leader, before settling permanently in our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours sales team.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Heloise Buxton - Travel Expert
Heloise started her Latin American journey as an exchange student in Santiago, Chile. With extended summer holidays this was the perfect opportunity to backpack through Bolivia, Peru, Argentina and Brazil.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.