Casadinhos Brazilian Wedding BiscuitsLaura Rendell-Dunn - Product & Marketing
Our Real Latin America Expert
Laura Rendell-Dunn - Product & Marketing
With her Brazilian mother and Anglo-Peruvian husband, trilingual Laura has an insight into Latin America of rare depth and passion, making her the ideal spokesperson for all the region has to offer.
Casadinhos or 'happily married' biscuits are typically eaten at wedding receptions in Brazil. They are two thin biscuits, representing the married couple, sandwiched together with doce de leite (a caramel sauce), jam, honey or chocolate spread. You can also flavour half of the biscuits with cocoa if you want the two halves to be different colours. Our recipe makes 30 casadinhos (60 individual biscuits).
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 20 hour
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 30 casadinhos (60 individual biscuits)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Grease two large baking trays and line with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- In a bowl beat together yolks and half the sugar until they form a pale cream.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whites with the salt. When the whites begin to foam add the rest of the sugar and then beat until you have hard peaks.
- Add the yolks to the whites and mix gently with a spatula so as not to lose volume.
- Add the vanilla extract and the flour and gently mix again until all the flour is combined.
- Pipe or spoon small amounts onto the baking sheets and place in the oven.
- Bake for 8 minutes until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring them onto a wire rack.
- Once cool, sandwich the biscuits together with your chosen filling and dust with icing sugar.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Charlotte Daubeney - Travel Expert
Charlotte's fascination with Latin America began with a family holiday to Belize. She went on to study Spanish in school and at university before spending a year living in Santiago, Chile.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.