Brazilian Passion Fruit Mousse
20 May 2015
Passion fruit mousse is a favourite for Brazilians, it's cool, sour and smooth texture makes for a delicious and refreshing treat.
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Refrigerate: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 6-8
- 12 ripe passion fruit
- 2 sheets clear gelatine or 1 tablespoon powdered - enough to set 1/2 pint of liquid
- 300ml (1/2 pint) unsweetened condensed cream
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tbs caster sugar
- Scoop the pulp from 8 of the passion frui and reserve the remaining 4 fruits.
- Push the pulp through a sieve to seperate the juice from the seeds.
- Tear the gelatine into bits and put to soak in cold water for 10 minutes or so, until it softens. If using powdered gelatine, follow the directions on the packet.
- In a small pan, mix the soaked gelatine with half the passion fruit juice and disolve it over a gentle heat, whisking to blend. Wisk in the condensed milk.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggwhites until they hold their shape, then whisk in the sugar spoonful by spoonful to make a soft meringue.
- Fold in the warm passion fruit juice and spoon into whatever receptacles you like.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Finish with the reserved passion fruits - juice and seeded on top.
Find more authentic recipes in 'The Latin American Kitchen' book.
Flexible, custom-made holidays to Latin America created to match your exact requirements: our tailor-made itineraries are as unique as the clients for whom they are designed.Design my trip