Acarajé – Brazilian seafood frittersJenny Powles - Product & Marketing
Our Real Latin America Expert
Jenny Powles - Product & Marketing
Jenny first visited Latin America as a student, setting off a longstanding love of Latin culture, vibrancy and musicality that would soon see her return to backpack across South America.
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Recipe serves: 10
Ingredients for fritters:
- 2 cups of black-eyed peas; soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp (optional - but easily available in Chinese supermarkets)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 11/2 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Dendê (palm) oil (or any vegetable oil)
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1/2 cup dried shrimp
- 1/2 cup fresh king prawns
- 1 cup roughly chopped onion
- 1 tsp peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp oil (as above)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
Instructions to make the fritters:
- Rub the peel off the beans (pre-soaking makes this easier).
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and keep going until you have a smooth purée.
- Break up the mixture into ten balls of equal size.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and deep-fry the balls of dough for around 7-8 minutes or until crisp on all sides.
- Transfer onto paper towels to absorb excess oil and, when cool enough, slice down the centre of each fritter and spread with seafood filling.
Instructions to make the filling:
Soak the dried shrimp in cold water, to cover, for 30 minutes.
Drain and blend with the onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, red pepper and lime juice in a food processer.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the mixture for about 5 minutes, together with the fresh king prawns.
Season with salt to taste.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Real Latin America Experts
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Mary Anne Nelson - Travel Expert
Born in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, Mary’s insider knowledge and dry sense of humour make her a highly valued member of the Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tour sales team.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Carrie Gallagher - Travel Expert
A former JLA tour leader, Carrie brings a wealth of on-the-ground experience to our London-based Tailor-made and Group Tours department.
Lina Fuller - Travel Expert
Lina's passion for the continent where she was born really took off when she moved to Córdoba (Argentina) to study, spending the holidays travelling between Argentina and her native Colombia.