"These are a real staple in my household: so simple to whip up from just a few ingredients, and super tasty. We use a trick borrowed from Nigella to get those satisfying griddle marks on either side!"
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 very ripe avocados, chopped into thin slices water
- 150g mature cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped
- Juice of a lime
- Fry the onion and chilli in olive oil until softened.
- Place the first of the tortillas on a flat surface and add a spoonful of the cooked onion and chilli, about a quarter of an avocado (chopped) and a sprinkling of cheese and lime juice to the middle of the bottom half only, so that it can be neatly folded in half like a turnover without any ingredients spilling out of the sides.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat (without oil). Meanwhile, fill a saucepan with heavy items such as bottles of sauce etc. Place the folded, filled tortilla on the griddle pan, then put the heavy saucepan on top to apply pressure. Cook for about two minutes, then turn and cover the other side with the pan for another minute or two. This should leave marks on either side, and the cheese should have melted the tortilla together.
- Keep warm (or just eat as you go!) and repeat process for the other seven tortillas.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Sally Dodge - Travel Expert
A former Journey Latin America tour leader, Sally spent 7 years working, travelling and living throughout Latin America before returning to the UK to help people arrange their own adventures to this wonderful destination.
Kathryn Rhodes - Travel Expert
Kathryn backpacked across Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru before joining us. She has a degree in Philosophy and French and is a keen netball player.
Maggie Wilson - Travel Expert
Maggie visited Latin America on her first backpacking trip when she was 19. Since then, she has taken every opportunity to travel, and has managed to explore a lot of the region in subsequent trips.
Hannah Donaldson - Travel Expert
Having spent part of her childhood in Colombia and worked in Brazil and Costa Rica, Hannah's ties to Latin America run deep. Hannah is a much valued Travel Expert in our Tailor-made Holidays and Group Tours sales team.
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Heloise Buxton - Travel Expert
Heloise started her Latin American journey as an exchange student in Santiago, Chile. With extended summer holidays this was the perfect opportunity to backpack through Bolivia, Peru, Argentina and Brazil.