Vegan Lomo Saltado
This mouthwatering dish uses tender, juicy Portobello mushrooms in the place of meat. It’s a quick, easy and completely vegan-friendly take on the Peruvian classic.
- Glug of grapeseed oil
- 250g Portobello mushrooms
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 50ml Reduced-Sodium Tamari
- 50ml Dry Wine
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Chilli paste (Ají Panca is ideal)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- Handful of fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- French Fries
- White Rice
- Slice your mushrooms, tomatoes and red onion into evenly sized strips around ½ inch thick.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a wok over a high heat. Add garlic and fry briefly before adding the mushrooms, oregano, cumin and paprika, along with salt and pepper to taste. Toss together so they are well mixed.
- Pour in the Tamari and red wine and sauté for three minutes. The mushrooms should begin to simmer.
- Add the red onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add your chilli paste. Finally add the tomatoes for no more than a minute, until they absorb some of the sauce, then turn the heat off.
- Serve your delicious dish with a garnish of parsley, along with sides of white rice and french fries.
Your edit for Latin American inspiration
Our exciting range of articles on Latin America explore everything from iconic destinations and lesser-known cultural gems to delicious traditional recipes. You’ll also find exclusive travel tips, first-hand client reviews and the chance to get your personal questions answered by our travel experts.View Extraordinary Inspiration
Millie Davies - Travel Expert
Having caught the travel bug as a child, Millie has travelled all over Latin America before making her home in Buenos Aires for 3 years.
Ben Line - Travel Expert
Ben fell in love with Latin America on a six month backpacking trip from Colombia to Mexico in 1995. Since then he has explored most of South America, including living in Peru for a year. He is now Head of Sales.
Hannah Waterhouse - Travel Expert
Hannah had an early introduction to Latin America when her family moved to Ecuador and she returned to study in Buenos Aires for a year before backpacking across the continent.
Paul Winrow-Giffin - Travel Expert
After graduating in Computer Science, Paul spent seven months travelling from Colombia to Argentina and came home hooked on Latin America.
Charlotte Daubeney - Travel Expert
Charlotte's fascination with Latin America began with a family holiday to Belize. She went on to study Spanish in school and at university before spending a year living in Santiago, Chile.
Sophie Barber - Travel Expert
Sophie lived in Chile before joining us and has travelled extensively across Latin America, from Mexico to the furthest tip of Patagonia and beyond to Antarctica.