Huevos rancheros – Mexican ranch-style eggs
Add some spice to your morning with a Mexican breakfast recipe - the perfect wake-up call!
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Recipe serves: 6
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red chilli
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 150ml tomato passata
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 8 eggs
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves
- hot chilli sauce (according to preference)
- To make the salsa, finely chop the onion, peppers, chilli, garlic and add, along with the passata, into a bowl. Season to taste and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan with a lid over a medium heat and add a quarter of the salsa to the pan. Stir to warm through then make a hole in the middle of the salsa. Place the knob of butter in the area in the middle of the pan to melt, and then break two eggs into this space.
- Place the lid onto the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. When the eggs are cooked, slide the eggs and salsa onto a large plate and keep warm in the oven as you repeat this process three more times - serving two eggs per person.
- To serve, sprinkle each dish with coriander leaves and serve the warm tortillas and chilli sauce alongside
For an authentic serving style, accompany this dish with fresh avocado slices and refried beans.
In a variation of this classic dish, fittingly known as 'divorced eggs', the two eggs are separated by a wall of refried beans, with one covered in salsa roja and the other salsa verde, to give different but complementary tastes.
Flexible, custom-made holidays to Latin America created to match your exact requirements: our tailor-made itineraries are as unique as the clients for whom they are designed.Design my trip