Vacancy Trainee Travel Sales Expert
Tailor-made and Group Tour Holidays sales team
Whether you have recently graduated or are looking for a change of career, this is a fantastic opportunity to use your Latin American travel experience to embark on a rewarding career in the travel industry, working for the UK’s no. 1 specialist in travel to Latin America.
If you have travelled to and are passionate about our destinations and want to be part of a long-established (+40yr), successful, and ambitious award-winning company where you can indulge your love of travel and enthusiasm for the continent by sharing it with others, then we would love to hear from you.
Our 12-month trainee programme will equip you with all the skills and experience required to excel as a fully-fledged Journey Latin America Travel Expert. The first 3 months will include a combination of classroom and practical training. During this time you will have the invaluable and exciting opportunity to learn everything about the business and the travel industry from the bottom up with three 2-4 weeks posts across the Marketing, Product and Operations departments. The next 3 months will focus on the core day-to-day skills and knowledge required by a Journey Latin America Travel Expert. This will include in-depth product and destination training on our full and range of products; sales and communications skills training; and training on our various travel technology solutions. You will also have a programme of self-learning resources to work through and time spent shadowing and supporting our highly experienced Travel Experts. At the end of 6 months you will start to manage your own booking load, with continued support and training until completion of your 12 month traineeship. The training programme will also include at least one exciting educational to one or more of our core destinations.
On completion of your training, as a fully-fledged Journey Latin America Travel Expert, you will be the face of the company. You’ll handle enquiries from a varied range of discerning clients right through from their first contact until they come home. Using your first-hand travel experience, your product and geographical knowledge and your passion for the destinations, you’ll design and sell thoughtfully crafted once-in-a-lifetime holidays that not only match your clients’ interests and budget but exceed their expectations to ensure they become positive advocates of both you and the company.
Responsibilities by the end of the 12month traineeship:
- Take on tailor-made and group tour enquiries communicating primarily by phone and email but also face to face at occasional travel shows or client events.
- Design and produce unique, considered and accurately costed holiday quotes and subsequent itinerary revisions as required.
- As the client’s single point of contact, provide first class customer service whilst progressing efficiently towards closing the sale.
- Book all travel arrangements including flights, hotels, excursions, and ground transportation with our local partners.
- Ensure the cost and content accuracy of supplier confirmations received.
- Take full ownership of administrative and operational tasks for your bookings, including the production of the travel documents.
- Exceed challenging but realistic monthly and annual sales targets and meet Key Performance Indicators, including customer service client feedback.
- Ensure product and destination knowledge is up to date through attendance of regular internal and external product training and pro-active self-learning.
- Travel to Latin America on educational trips to research and experience the product and destinations.
- Work closely with your colleagues, sharing your knowledge looking after absent colleagues’ bookings to the same high standards as your own.
- Support Marketing, Product and Customer Service department initiatives with trip reports, sharing client feedback and occasional written content for the website and brochure.
Knowledge, skills and experience required:
- Demonstrable passion and geographical knowledge of Latin America, including some first-hand travel experience there.
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to forge a successful career in the travel industry.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral.
- Confident and articulate, with the ability to easily develop rapport with a differing range of personalities.
- A positive approach to customer service and care, with some previous experience in a customer-facing role.
- Strong attention to detail, an organised approach to work, a well-developed sense of responsibility and the ability to set and achieve high standards.
- Flexible and co-operative approach to work, prepared to take on extra tasks, solve problems and support colleagues as required.
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised plus the desire to contribute to the success of the team.
- Resilience to the inevitable setbacks that come with the territory in a sales-focused role and a willingness to learn positively from them.
- Trainees will earn £27k in their first year (including completion bonus). After 12months, as a fully-fledged Journey Latin America Travel Expert, realistic OTE is £35,000 - £45,000+ (dependent on performance). Annual bonuses and commission are uncapped, with top performers regularly earning more than this.
- 28 days annual leave (incl. bank holidays, increasing with service).
- Hybrid working: 3 days in the office, 2 working from home. Working hours are Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm with 1hr lunch. We work some Saturdays with a day off earned in lieu. (Trainees will not be required to work Saturdays in the first 6 months and may be required to work more days in the office for training purposes).
- Regular educational trips to Latin America.
- We are supportive of personal holidays to Latin America with fantastic offers and discounts available to staff, family and friends.
- Staff also have access to ‘friends and family’ discounts and special offers from sister companies in the Kuoni/Der Touristik UK travel group to which we belong.
- Pension scheme.
- Life Assurance.
- Income Protection Insurance against long-term absence from work.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Journey Latin America was founded over 40 years ago out of a love of the continent. This shared passion for travel to Latin America means we have always had a strong, sociable, and informal company culture and is one of the reasons our staff retention is so high. Every Thursday afternoon the whole company comes together to enjoy a well-earned break as the senior managers wheel out the well-stocked drinks and snacks trolley. Other popular events in the company calendar include the summer and Christmas parties. Many staff also socialise outside of work, taking full advantage of the excellent pubs and restaurants in the area. Located in Stamford Brooke, right next to one of the city’s loveliest stretches of the River Thames, we have numerous parks and green spaces right on our doorstep. Chiswick and Hammersmith offer a great array of shops, cafes, and restaurants to enjoy within easy walking distance. Whilst the company has an independent spirit, we are proud to be part of the Kuoni/Der Touristik UK travel group.
To apply for this vacancy, please email your CV with a covering letter detailing your relevant experience and suitability for the role. Please also include a travel profile with the Latin American destinations and dates you have visited. Please email to: Antonio Vaquero firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline 30 September 2022