Braving the Beach in Style in BrazilJenny Powles - Product & Marketing
Our Real Latin America Expert
Jenny Powles - Product & Marketing
Jenny first visited Latin America as a student, setting off a longstanding love of Latin culture, vibrancy and musicality that would soon see her return to backpack across South America.
Everybody knows the Brazilians take their beachwear very seriously. So if you’re in a flap about what to wear on your holiday, despair no more. Here are our top tips for staying stylish on the shores of Brazil’s famously vast beaches (or even at your super trendy hotel pool):
- Invest in some quality swimwear – it is likely that you will spend at least some of your time in the water whilst in Brazil and cheap swimwear will fall apart quickly after an assault of salt water, chlorine and sun cream. If you do invest make sure you rinse your things out thoroughly in fresh water, tap water will do, afterwards.
- Take something to cover up with – the sun is blisteringly hot and even if you are a certified sun worshipper it is well worth having a decent cover up with you in case things get too intense. Also useful for the obligatory stop at a bar or restaurant for a refreshing drink or bite to eat and for avoiding insect bites in the early evening.
- A hat – as above – Brazil is hot, and a hat comes in extremely handy for keeping you cool and keeping the sun off your face. Also very good for boat trips when you might not realise quite how frazzled you are getting!
- Flip flops – a Brazilian essential. But pick them up when you get there. There are two main brands Havaianas and Ipanemas which are sold absolutely everywhere. There are even dedicated stores in Ipanema in Rio where you can pick up some of the most current and stylish designs. Flip flops also make good presents for the poor friends you left at home.
- Beach Bag – for lugging around all of the above! Also sensible to make sure it can be zip closed so no wandering hands can get into it. Another tip is to find a waterproof case to keep your camera and any money or valuables you want to take.
- Some great jewellery – whether you take it with you or find something fabulous in the boutiques and markets, Brazilians love a bit of statement jewellery. Keep your eyes peeled for pieces made from natural Brazilian products such as seeds which are particularly stunning and available everywhere.
Top Brazilian beachwear brands available here in the UK (make sure you ask for the international cut!):
V i X – high quality, extremely stylish and beautifully-made swimwear, they also have a diffusion line called Sofia by Vix. Trust us, you will never look back.
Lenny – one of the most famous brands and definitely for the serious fashionistas out there.
Salinas – one of Brazil’s best-selling brands. Unique and imaginative swimwear, but beware it tends to be rather on the small side!
Frescobol Carioca – fabulous swim shorts for men. Also stock great beach bats!
Osklen – another one for the men with beautifully cut and great quality shorts.
Havaianas – the quintessential Brazilian footwear.
Ipanema – footwear rival to havaianas.
Hipanema – not to be confused with the above – this jewellery was inspired by Rio. Lovely and colourful, also stock beach hats and bags!
Our Value Brazil: The Emerald Coast holiday makes the most of the exotic beaches fringed by tumbling jungle vegetation and some of the prettiest historic towns and villages situated in tranquil bays in the area around Rio de Janeiro - the perfect opportunity for you don your stylish beachwear!